Thursday, December 22, 2011

The Buckeye

DSC03505

To me, it just doesn’t seem like Christmas unless there are Buckeyes. I think Ben agrees. I have fond memories of making these almost every year with my mom and my brother. The ones that I rolled were usually the biggest. This year Rosemary helped me make them for the first time. She was a great roller.

Buckeyes (this is a half-recipe but is always plenty for us with some to give away)

  • 1/2 lb margarine
  • 1 cup creamy peanut butter
  • 1 to 1 1/4 lbs confectioners sugar
  • 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
  • 1 pkg chocolate candy coating

Using an electric mixer, combine margarine and peanut butter at a medium speed. Add vanilla. (I forgot the vanilla this year and you couldn’t even tell). Slowly add confectioners sugar until all is combined and a smooth dough forms. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate dough at least 1 hour.

Form dough into 1 to 1 1/2 inch balls (mine are never this small though) and place on wax paper lined cookie sheet. Refrigerate peanut butter balls for at least 1 hour. This will make the next step so much easier!

Melt candy coating according to directions. Insert a toothpick into the top of one peanut butter ball and dip into melted coating, covering approximately two-thirds to three-quarters of the ball with chocolate. Place back on wax paper lined cookie sheet to harden. Repeat with all peanut butter balls.

I refrigerate our Buckeyes when they’re all done, but I know others who don’t. I like them cold and I feel like they last longer that way.

No comments: