Our April field trip with our co-op was to the UF Fisheries.
Janice and Richard came to town to watch Charlotte for me so just the two older ones got to go. They first worked with a partner to catch fish in the smaller ponds using nets.
Rosemary worked with Noah and I helped Ben.
Rosemary and Noah caught a lot of animals…and a lot of mud.
Next, the kids then learned a bit about different native and invasive fish. Algae eaters are not native and are taking over some lakes. They are huge in the wild!
Finally, the kids got to actually go fishing. We’ve been out to the fisheries on Family Fun Days and never caught fish, but this time was different! We used hot dogs as bait, baited our hooks and were ready to go.
This proud little 4 year old caught his very first fish! A cute little blue gill.
Rosemary caught her first fish too! Another blue gill.
And guess what?? I caught my very first fish as well!! Thirty-three years old and this was the first! (I’m pretty sure I squealed with joy…thank you, Ashley, for getting a picture for me). I had to get Jennifer to help me unhook and throw the first one back, but after that, I managed to unhook and throw any others that we caught back into the pond.
It was such a fun, memorable morning. From there, we loaded up in the van and headed back to the house to get Charlotte. Then we all drove down for lunch with Jonathan before Janice and Richard headed home.
No comments:
Post a Comment