When it comes to gift giving, Jonathan always does a better job than I do. This year was no exception. We don’t exchange gifts every year. We’ll do cards or buy something for both of us, but we don’t always get the other a big gift so this year was a bit of a surprise.
At the homeschool convention in May, there was a rare and used book vendor in the exhibit hall. There were hundreds of books, but the LM Montgomery shelf caught my eye and I found a copy of Anne of Avonlea. We didn’t get it then and while I had hoped that Jonathan might go back and get it for me (I had noticed later in the conference that it was no longer on the shelf), I didn’t let my hopes get too high, but I hadn’t forgotten about it.
But alas, he had gone back and on Thursday morning, our anniversary, I opened this treasure.
A first impression copy of Anne of Avonlea, printed in September of 1909.
It smells wonderful. I love the smell of an old book.
It pairs nicely with my 12th impression Anne of Green Gables. In fact, both books were printed in September, 1909. Green Gables was first printed in 1908, but first editions of those are super expensive and hard to find. I love that they’re from the same month and year. It’s like they belong together.
I’ve paged through Avonlea these last few days and again have felt like I’m visiting an old friend. I first read Anne of Green Gables when I was in the fifth grade after seeing the PBS miniseries and instantly fell in love. I still have the paperback set that my parents bought me and look forward to one day reading through them with our children. I made my way through all eight of the books in the Anne series so whenever I read them, I not only enjoy re-living the story, I also enjoy the memories they bring back of my own childhood. I think that’s why this story will always be my favorite.
1 comment:
So awesome! Josh and I both also live those books. I think I would be quite beside myself as well if I had the copies printed in the same year as well a the month. Happy anniversary ad good job Jonathan!
Post a Comment