While I didn’t manage to sleep in (I think I made it until 7?), I did take my time getting ready the next morning. I worked out in the gym, got ready, watched the news, and enjoyed some Starbucks and a good book while Jonathan was in his morning session. I met Jonathan during his break for lunch.
Jonathan found an old Irish pub on Drury Street that wasn’t far from the hotel so we decided to walk there.
McGillin’s Olde Ale House opened in 1860. And it’s tucked away on a side street so if you’re not looking for it, it would be hard to find.
It was a little early for lunch when we first got there, but it soon started to fill up. The place had so much character.
Jonathan enjoyed a massive meatloaf and mashed potatoes meal.
I opted for a corned beef sandwich, apparently one of Tennessee Williams’ favorites.
After lunch, we walked around the corner for some gelato. Jonathan had dark chocolate and pistachio.
I enjoyed Nutella and nocciola, the two flavors that I almost always got in Rome.
After lunch, Jonathan headed back for more sessions and I walked down to Antique Row.
Unfortunately, I didn’t have much luck with shops being open, but it was a really pretty walk down Pine Street.
I walked by the Pennsylvania Hospital where portions of the original eighteenth century buildings are still used today.
From Pine, I ambled north on 7th Street to Washington Square.
The Tomb of the Unknown Revolutionary Soldier
After that, I made my way back to 13th Street to wait for a call from my brother. Completely coincidentally, his family had planned to be visiting Philadelphia at the same time we were going to be there so we met up for the afternoon and dinner.
I met them in Reading Terminal Market, right next to our hotel. Jonathan and I had walked through the market the day before so I knew it was big, but thankfully I found Jason and his family pretty quickly. From there, we headed up to walk through Philadelphia’s Chinatown.
Friendship Gate
With my nephew and two of my nieces…and some ducks!
We met up with Jonathan after his sessions ended and headed over to Hard Rock to grab dinner.
In Philadelphia, most of the menus show nutritional information. The number of calories in the hamburgers was staggering. I still ate one.
On our way out, we got a group shot. I thought that it was quite perfect to get a chance to hang out with my brother and his family for a few hours since we did happen to be in the City of Brotherly Love. ;-) Would love to be able to do things like that more often!
1 comment:
Looks like an awesome trip! Josh and I ate at McGiiloan's when we were in Philly about 9 years ago! It is fun looking at all your pictures and remembering an awesome trip. Glad you enjoyed your vacation!!
Post a Comment