So in the official first chapter in Story of the World, we learned about nomads. I’m finding that we need to carefully navigate through these early chapters, but they are certainly capturing Rosemary’s interest.
For this chapter (which because of VBS covered 2 weeks) our big activity was cave painting. It was mentioned in our reading that nomads lived in caves so I found the chapter on the Lascaux, France cave paintings in our art book and did a very short lesson on the paintings found there. Then we went into our ‘cave.’
Before we got in we turned off all of the lights in the house.
We had a limited color palette of just pale yellow, black, brown, and dark red and she could mix colors from there. And apparently cave painters preferred to dress in costumes. :-)
Tracing her hand.
I took this one without the flash. It was really dark in there! Initially we just brought in a little lantern that Rosemary got from a Chick-fil-a kids meal, but we needed more light so I got my little LED flashlight.
While we were “in the cave,” I got super sleepy. I couldn’t sit up straight, it was nice and warm, almost completely dark, so I laid down while Rosemary painted. And I completely fell asleep. On the floor. Under my dining room table. Rosemary asked me how I could sleep on something so hard. I told her that I had no idea!
Anyway, Rosemary thoroughly enjoyed this activity. I painted a bit of the things on the left (before I fell asleep), she did everything on the right.
No comments:
Post a Comment