Friday, October 12, 2012

Colonial Williamsburg-Days 4 and 5

Day 4

On Wednesday, we headed over the historic area fairly early. We got off the bus at the Capitol and headed over to the Raleigh Bakery to get some hot chocolate and cookies. Jonathan, Rosemary, and I were planning on going to a dance lesson at the Raleigh Tavern that morning so after our snack, we headed there.

I have always thoroughly enjoyed the dance programs in Colonial Williamsburg. I went to one with my dad when I was 17 and Jonathan and I have gone to one as well. I was looking forward to taking Rosemary, but she seemed really overwhelmed by the lesson so we actually didn’t get to dance.

DSC05717

We did learn how to do our courtesies. Here’s Jonathan putting his best leg forward.

DSC05718

The ladies basically just do a pliƩ.

From there we went through quite a few of the trade shops including the silversmith, wigmaker, and milliner.

Next, Rosemary, Ben, my mom and dad, and I went through the Capitol. The exterior was being renovated and was ensconced in scaffolding so I didn’t get any outside shots this trip.

DSC05719

In the Capitol.

Next, we visited the Public Gaol.

DSC05721

Here we learned that jail time was never a punishment for a particular crime. The gaol was used primarily to hold people until their trial.

We ate lunch once again at The Cheese Shop that day then headed back to the condo early. The younger kids napped (and so did I). After dinner that night, my dad and Jonathan took the older kids swimming while my mom, Charlotte, and I went out to the Williamsburg Pottery Outlet. We were disappointed in our shopping trip that night and ended up back at the condo before the guys came back from swimming.

Day 5

Thursday morning we went to breakfast at Mama Steve’s before heading to the outlet malls. The entire crew went, which makes for an interesting shopping day, but we found some good deals for Jonathan and the kids.

Once again we were back at the condo for naps and dinner. Following dinner, Jonathan and I got ready to head back to the historic area for a chamber concert at Bruton Parish Church.

DSC05724

We sat up in the back balcony for the concert. It was about an hour long and featured a harpsichord, organ, and flute.

DSC05726

After the concert, we walked down to The Trellis Restaurant for death by chocolate. We were the last people to be seated so the restaurant was practically empty. It was so decadent and absolutely delicious.

No comments: