When we started Story of the World this summer, my goal was to complete chapter 4 on Egypt’s mummies and pyramids. One of the recommended activities for this chapter was to make a chicken mummy. I had first heard about this activity from Nikki and my first thought was that it must stink. Well, we’ve had a chicken sitting in a box of salt in our kitchen for five days (we have changed the salt) and no smell yet.
So last week, Evan, Jen, and Lydia came over to make their own chicken mummy with us. It was a good activity to do with friends.
One of the steps was to wash the chicken in alcohol. I read somewhere that suggested just soaking it in the alcohol, so our chickens soaked for a little over an hour.
Then the kids donned their gloves and started mixing up a salt mixture of table salt, baking soda, and baking powder. I don’t think I’ll have to buy baking soda again for years.
Both Evan and Rosemary were a bit dubious about the whole touching the chicken part.
Rosemary eventually attempted to dry off her chicken, but wouldn’t put her hand inside.
Ben didn’t want to touch the chicken either.
Next it was time to fill up the chicken with the salt and put it in its box. Jen helped Evan and I helped Rosemary. Once they were covered, we put on the lids and were ready to go. Jen and I mixed up a couple more batches of salt to have ready to switch out when it gets wet.
In a few weeks, we’ll get together again to wrap the fully mummified Mystery Mummy and King Klucky.
No comments:
Post a Comment