Sunday, April 25, 2010

New Orleans – Day 3

Since Jonathan was doing conference stuff Thursday morning, I had the morning to myself to leisurely get ready and do a bit of shopping.

I headed to the mall beside our hotel and had some beignets and hot chocolate for breakfast with Flat Sally.

100_8335 I ate way too many beignets while we were in New Orleans. They were so good.

100_8336 View of the Mississippi, from the west bank even though we hadn’t crossed the river. That was so confusing.

100_8341I met Jonathan at the conference center and we walked up to Mother’s for lunch. A few of his coworkers joined us too.

100_8343 At Mother’s we shared a Famous Ferdi Special with baked ham, roast beef, debris, gravy, and coleslaw. So good.

100_8345 Michael, me, Jonathan, Sharon, and Gene

After lunch, Jonathan headed back for more sessions and I headed back to lay out by the pool and read.

For dinner that night, the entire Registrar crew went to dinner at Bourbon House. What a great night! The food was delicious…Jonathan got Redfish and I had Parmesan Crusted Fish with clams…and it was great company.

100_8346

The AACRAO group and spouses

After Bourbon House, Jonathan and I headed to Pat O’Brien’s for the piano bar.100_8351

This ended up being one of my favorite parts of the trip. There’s just something about being in a crowd of people and singing Neil Diamond.

100_8348

Enjoying our night out together on the town.

100_8363

The pianists are amazing. The crowd can request songs on a napkin and put it up on the piano (along with a tip, of course) and they play it. From Nirvana to Sinatra, they seemed to know it all. The first night we went, one of the pianists had a fake book. The next night, the pianist had a netbook. I guess that’s what they use if they need a little help with the tune and the lyrics.

No comments: